February is an exciting month at Tot Spot beginning with a Valentine theme for both our three and four year old classes. Friendship and kindness will be our focus along with Valentine crafts and activities. Our Valentine celebrations will be held on February 13th (MWF am classes) and Tuesday, February 14th (T/Th am and all pm classes). Children are invited to bring in valentines for their friends that day. We have found it makes it easier to deliver the cards if the child puts only his/her own name on the card (eg. From Sam). Please leave the “To” section blank. To add to our celebrations, please wear valentine colours (red, white, pink and/or purple) to school this day. After Valentine’s Day, the three year old classes will learn about community helpers while the four year olds will explore space and our solar system. We look forward to some special visitors during this time as well!
Our special day this month is Pink Shirt Day (Anti-Bullying Day) on Wednesday, February 22nd. Wear your pink shirt this day as we emphasize how important it is to be kind to everyone every day!
In preparation for kindergarten, the four year old classes will be working on printing their names. Lots of reinforcement of this concept at home is helpful. A good way to encourage proper letter formation is to encourage the children to “start their letters at the top” (except for lower case “e”). We also find this is a good time to start working with your child on learning a parent’s phone number and their address orally. A great time to do this is when you are driving/waiting in the car!
It is with great sadness that we share with you that Pam Prior, a long time teacher and owner of Tot Spot Preschool, passed away on November 22, 2022. A number of you parents were taught by her. There will be an open house on February 11th from 11:00-1:00 at Tot Spot (Bonavista Baptist Church) to celebrate her life. Please join us if you knew Pam and help us spread the word.
A few reminders:
- Please make sure your contact information is up to date. If you have moved, changed your cell number or have new emergency contact information, please let us know.
- Please ensure your child has visited the bathroom before class and has proper indoor footwear for our gym activities and fire drills.
- Please ensure your children leave the school in a safe manner at pickup time. Running up and down the ramp or in the gym and climbing on the railings can result in someone getting hurt. We appreciate your help in reminding children to use their “walking feet”.
- Registration for next year is on-going. At the present time there are spots available in all classes. A big thank you to all who have recommended us to your friends, neighbours and family!
Important Dates To Remember:
- February 13th (MWF am classes) / February 14th (T/Th am and all pm classes) – Valentine Celebrations. Bring your cards for your friends and wear red, pink, white and/or purple!
- February 16th & 17th – Teachers’ Convention (Tot Spot will be closed).
- February 20th – Family Day (Tot Spot will be closed).
- February 22nd – Pink Shirt Day (Anti-Bullying Day) – Wear a pink shirt.
- March 25th – April 2nd – Spring Break (Tot Spot will be closed). Tot Spot reopens on Monday, April 3rd.