Tot Spot COVID-19 Protocol/Program Changes 2021-2022
The following are Tot Spot’s COVID-19 Protocol and Program Changes. The Alberta Health Daily Checklist is the form that has to be filled out for your child before he/she comes to school each day. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions at all.
The first day of school is approaching quickly! School will look a little different again this fall as
we adjust our program to the ever-changing COVID-19 situation and AHS guidelines. Please
Staff – All of our staff are fully vaccinated and will wear masks.
Students – Students are not required to wear masks but are welcome to wear them. We (and
the AHS) recognize that it is unrealistic to expect young children to social distance. We will do
our very best to have children play “together” but not too close as advised by AHS.
Parent Volunteers – Unfortunately we will not be able to have parent volunteers at this time.
Snack – Students need to bring their own snack and water bottle (filled with water) for snack
time. No juice boxes please. The snack and water bottle should be in a lunch bag clearly
labelled with your child’s first and last name on the outside of the lunch bag. We encourage
healthy snacks and find that two items are plenty. Snacks should be nut free and grapes must
be cut in half lengthwise. We will be moving snack time from a picnic style snack in the gym
back to the snack tables in the main room. There will be a maximum of 4 children at a table.
Drop Off/Pick Up – Drop off and pick up times will be staggered. Your child’s teacher will call
you this week with your drop off and pick up times as well as other important information.
We ask that only one person drop off or pick up your child (does not always have to be the
same person) when possible to eliminate congestion in the foyer. The person dropping off or
picking up your child must be wearing a mask and social distance. The Alberta Health Daily
Checklist for Children Under 18 (attached) should be reviewed each day before your child
comes to school. You do NOT need to fill it out and bring it with you. We will take your child’s
temperature upon arrival and are required to ask you if your child is feeling well. If possible,
please keep your child’s coat with you instead of leaving it in the coat room. If a different
person is picking up your child than dropping off your child then you may use the coat room.
There will be clean hangers available when you drop off your child and a box to put your used
hanger in at the end of class. Drop off and pick up will take place in the foyer. Parents will not
be entering the classrooms.
Washroom – PLEASE HAVE YOUR CHILD USE THE WASHROOM BEFORE COMING TO SCHOOL.
We prefer you use the washroom at home instead of the washroom at school (when you
arrive at school) if possible. Students will be taken to the washroom as a class before snack
time and will be able to use the washroom as needed during class.
Illness – Keeping a sick child at home. Parents are asked to be vigilant about keeping their child home when he/she is ill and not feeling well. You are required to review the Alberta Health Daily Checklist (For Children Under 18) each day prior to dropping off your child at school and follow the guidelines outlined there. We will take your child’s temperature upon arrival and ask you if your child is feeling well. If you child becomes unwell, they will be isolated from the other children and you will be called to come and pick up your child.
In addition to the COVID-19 protocols, the Child Care Licensing Handbook states that a child is
considered ill when they exhibit any of the following signs or symptoms: vomiting, fever,
frequent diarrhea, or a new unexplained rash or cough. A child may also be considered ill if
they temporarily require greater care and attention that cannot be provided without
compromising the care of other children, or if a staff member knows or believes the child
poses a health risk to other persons on the program premises.
If your child has been ill, they should be symptom free for 24 hours before returning to school.
Pre-Existing Conditions – Please notify your child’s teacher if your child has any pre-existing
conditions that may present as COVID-19 symptoms such as allergies, asthma etc. Please note
these on the health form you will receive with your information package and let your child’s
teacher know when they call you prior to the first day of school.
School is Different – We will be reintroducing the sand and water tables this fall. The children
will hand sanitize before and after playing at these centers. Stuffed animals and dress-ups will
remain in storage for now but we will have a few dolls out for the children to play with. Each
class will have their own batch of play dough and children will hand sanitize before and after
participating at this center. We will continue to have lots of fun making crafts, playing in the
gym, participating in circle time and playing with a variety of activities such as toys, puzzles,
books, listening centre, train table and Lego table. High touch surfaces will be cleaned at the
end of every morning and afternoon and between classes as much as possible. Toys will be
disinfected at least once a week.
We will do our very best to keep your child happy, engaged, safe and healthy! Please let us
know if you have any questions and we will provide regular updates as needed. Thank you for
-Tot Spot Staff
This Month at Tot Spot – October 2021
October will be a busy and exciting month for the children of Tot Spot! Both the three and four-year-old classes will be exploring the themes of Thanksgiving and Halloween through crafts, stories, songs and play. The children will also be learning about some of the animals frequently associated with this time of year. Our Halloween celebrations will be on October 29th and 30th. Wear a costume to school these days! As always, we will focus on the fun aspects of Halloween.
We would like to thank you again for being extremely diligent in keeping your children at home when they are not feeling well. We REALLY appreciate it. When we reopen on October 12th, please ensure that you are reviewing the Alberta Health Daily Checklist (updated version attached) and taking your child’s temperature before coming to school every day. If your child has to miss school for any reason, please phone or email us and let us know the reason for the absence. Thank you for helping us keep Tot Spot healthy and safe for all our families!
September is a busy month for families and we realize it is hard to keep up with all the paper. If you haven’t already done so, please take the time to read the information package emailed to you at the beginning of September. It has a lot of important information that you will find helpful.
There are a few items we would like you to take special note of:
- Please ensure your child has been to the bathroom before coming to school each day.
- Please ensure that all snacks are NUT FREE including granola bars and spreads (no peanut butter, almond butter, Nutella, etc.), and that all grapes and cherry/grape tomatoes are cut in half LENGTHWISE. Please send water in a water bottle for your child to have with their snack (no juice boxes please). We find two items are plenty for snack as snack time is only 10-15 minutes long.
- Please place only the child’s snack bag in the snack bins provided. If your child needs to leave a backpack and/or outdoor clothing at school because someone else is picking them up, please leave these items in the coat room. There are clean hangers at the entrance to the coat room and a box to place used hangers in when leaving.
- Children do not need a change of clothing at school as we have a large bin of extra clothes for accidents. On rainy or snowy days, please bring a dry pair of shoes (runners are best) to school to change into upon arrival. Wet footwear can be left on the mats in the foyer.
- Please label all outdoor clothing, boots, snack bags, water bottles and backpacks with your child’s name to prevent mix-ups and help us identify the owner of items left behind.
- To keep drop off and pick up times running smoothly, please try to arrive during your designated time slots. To comply with AHS recommendations and to eliminate congestion, please social distance in the foyer and visit with other parents outside.
IMPORTANT DATES TO MARK ON YOUR CALENDAR:
- October 11th - Thanksgiving Day (no classes)
- October 12th - Tot Spot Reopens
- October 13th (am only) / 14th (am & pm) - Photograph Days
- October 28th/29th – Halloween Celebrations. Wear a costume to school!
This Month at Tot Spot – September 2021
Welcome to Tot Spot! Our staff is excited about the upcoming school year and looking forward to getting to know your child. We have many fun and interesting activities planned for this year! “I Am Special” will be our first theme of the year. We will then move into a “Fall” theme where we will discover some of the unique things that happen at this time of year. Each theme is explored through a variety of stories, crafts, gym activities, songs and fingerplays. Our special day this month will be Orange Shirt Day on September 28th/29th leading up to National Day for Truth and Reconciliation (September 30th). Wear an orange shirt to school that day! We will make an indigenous craft, celebrate the uniqueness of all children and focus on kindness.
Please make a special note of the following items to help our program run smoothly:
- Please arrive during the designated time for your child’s class.
- Please review the Alberta Health Daily Checklist and take your child’s temperature before coming to school.
- Please make sure you have taken your child to the bathroom before bringing them to school.
- As we spend time in the gym each day, please make sure your child is wearing appropriate footwear (running shoes are best). When the weather is wet, children will need to change into dry footwear for school. There are mats in the foyer for wet boots.
- Please put your child’s snack and water bottle in a lunch bag or small back pack with their name on the OUTSIDE of the bag. Please place ONLY your child’s snack in the snack bins. If you need to leave a backpack at school, please put it in the coat room. We encourage nutritious snacks and two items are plenty. Tot Spot is NUT FREE and grapes MUST be cut in half lengthwise. No juice boxes please.
- Please ensure you fill out all the Tot Spot forms COMPLETELY and give them to your child’s teacher.
We partner with the organization I’m For Kids Team which provides support to preschoolers in the areas of speech and motor skills. Your child is eligible for this screening if he/she turned three by December 31, 2020, and attends 3 or 4 days/week. If your child is eligible, you will receive a screening package from us. There is no cost for the screening or services. If your child was at Tot Spot last year and completed the screening in June or August, you will not receive a package. The screening will take place at Tot Spot on September 20th and 21st. We highly recommend all eligible children participate in the screening. You may book an appointment for the screening when you return the forms. The deadline to return forms is Thursday, September 16th.
The Tot Spot newsletters will be sent to you via e-mail and posted on the website around the beginning of every month. Please watch for them and make a note of the important dates. If you do not receive the newsletter, please let your child’s teacher know. We will have a few paper copies of the newsletter available at school if you need one.
IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER:
- September 20th/21st - I’m For Kids Team Screening Days
- September 28th/29th - Orange Shirt Days
- September 30th - National Day for Truth and Reconciliation (Tot Spot will be closed)
- October 11th - Thanksgiving Day (Tot Spot will be closed) October 13th /14th - Photograph Days (class and individual photos will be taken).